By Will Soutter
Huber Engineered Woods has launched its new ZIP System R Sheathing panel that provides an innovative approach to insulating and sealing the building envelope. This is the prime structural wall sheathing system that comes with continuous foam insulation to deliver five performance benefits in a single panel.
ZIP System R-Sheathing
The five-in-one ZIP System is specifically developed to help builders meet energy codes. This ZIP System wall sheathing comes with laminated exterior rigid foam insulation that is built within. It is an energy-efficient barrier that resists moisture and minimizes leakage of air through the walls. ZIP System R-Sheathing includes an extra layer of thermal insulation. It helps builders install an all-in-one structural sheathing panel quickly with a built-in air and moisture barrier integrated with thermal insulation. This new all-in-one system offers added strength and durability in the wall assembly of homes.
The five-in-one ZIP System R Sheathing panel offers structural components for protecting and insulating in a single application. They include:
- Continuous foam insulation that provides higher R-value, increases thermal performance, eliminates thermal bridging and meets evolving energy codes.
- Engineered wood that provides durability and structure. The new ZIP System R Sheathing is created with the same technology and resins as AdvanTech flooring. It provides security against home intrusion.
- A built-in water resistive barrier that eliminates the requirement for housewrap, felt as well as costly rework. Optimal permeance enables the panel to dry out quickly.
- Continuous air barrier that creates greater homeowner comfort and energy efficiency by decreasing air leakage through the walls. It helps guard the R-value of insulation and reduces cooling and heating costs.
- ZIP System tape that perpetually seals all panel seams. It can be used with tape gun and accessories. The tape adhesive, made of acrylic technology, provides permanent adhesion.
Huber’s ZIP System R Sheathing comes along with 1” (R-6) or ½” (R-3) polyisocyanurate foam that is bonded to the interior of the structural OSB panel.