Stirlings Australia Global Metals Distributor, is located in Perth, Western Australia, and is a stockist distributor of stainless steel long, flat and fluid products and facilitator of value-added services. Established in 1986 as Stirling Metals, we're recognised as a leading stockist for quality stainless steel and copper nickel products. We're committed to providing innovative product and supply solutions to cater to each of our customer's stainless steel needs.
Cu-Ni alloys are widely used for marine applications due to their excellent resistance to seawater corrosion, high inherent resistance to biofouling and good fabricability. They have provided reliable service for several decades whilst offering effective solutions to todays technological challenges. Some of the better known copper nickel alloys include:
• Copper with 10% nickel
• Copper with 30% nicel
• Copper with 25% nickel with 0.05-0.4% manganese
• Copper with 45% nickel (also known as constantan)
Key Properties of Copper-Nickel Alloys
Properties of copper-nickel alloys vary with composition:
• Copper 90/10 and Copper 70/30 offer outstanding resistance to corrosion, particularly sea water
• Copper 70/30 is stronger with superior resistance to impingement corrosion
• Good resistance to biofouling, with the Copper 90/10 alloy being slightly superior compared to the Copper 70/30 alloy.
Copper rich alloys are ductile, can be hardened only by cold working, good corrosion resistance, good strength, low temperature co-efficient of electrical resistance. The nickel content in these alloys also enables them to retain their strength at elevated temperatures compared to copper alloys without nickel.
Applications of Copper-Nickel Alloys
Typical applications of copper-nickel alloys include:
• Sea water condensor systems and desalination plants
• Automotive applications
• Marine applications
• Resistance wire
• Cooling circuits
• Sea water corrosion-resistant assemblies
• Condenser tubes