SAFRAIL™ fiberglass ladders and ladder cages from Strongwell are a common sight in many industries, and are mounted on the sides of tanks and buildings. Fiberglass ladder and ladder cage systems have been used in chemical plants and other corrosive environments since the 1950s. The fiberglass has outlasted aluminum and steel even in complete immersion applications, and needed little or no maintenance.
Sizes and Availability
SAFRAIL™ ladders are produced in standard rung spacings of 12" (300 mm) and rung width of configuration of 18" (460 mm). Ladders of various lengths can be produced as standard. Regular SAFRAIL™ ladder cage systems and ladders are designed and developed to meet the OSHA 1910.27 requirements. Custom colors and custom designed ladders and access cages can be fabricated upon request. Pre-assembled ladders are available for field installation.
Materials of Construction
SAFRAIL™ ladders and ladder cage systems are produced using a premium grade polyester resin system with flame retardant additives and ultraviolet (UV) inhibitor. On request, a vinyl ester resin system is available for additional corrosion resistance. Standard side rails and cages are pigmented OSHA safety yellow, and the rungs are a pultruded fiberglass polyester tube with a fluted, non-skid surface.
This fiberglass ladder and cage provide worker access to a maintenance platform at a Ciba Geigy plant in the northeastern United States.
The SAFRAIL™ fiberglass ladder systems use pultruded fiberglass components. The open molded hand lay-up process is used to fabricate cage hoops. The pultruded parts can be produced with a fire retardant polyester resin that includes a UV inhibitor and meets the ASTM E-84 test for flame spread of 25 or less. The color will be OSHA safety yellow.
SAFRAIL™ Ladders and Ladder Cages
SAFRAIL™ fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) ladder and cage systems meet the OSHA 1910.27 requirements. Ladders can be assembled in shops, and pre-drilled and prepared for field attachment of standoff clips.
The side rails, rungs, and cage straps are reinforced with pultruded fiberglass. The side rails are 2" (50.8 mm) or 2.375" (60.3 mm) square tube, and have a wall thickness of 0.156" (3.81 mm) or greater. The rungs are pultruded 1.25" (31.8 mm) diameter FRP fluted tube.
Cage hoops have a width of 3" (76.2 mm) and thickness of 1/4" (6.4 mm) minimum at the top and bottom, and 2" x 1/4" (50.8 mm x 6.4 mm) at the intermediate hoops. These hoops are manufactured using the open mold hand lay-up process. The cage is interconnected with 2" x 3/16" (50.8 mm x 4.76 mm) pultruded straps spaced 9" (229 mm) on center around the hoop.
Fiberglass access ladders are used throughout the service areas of Sea World in Orlando, FL, and resist saltwater corrosion and reduce maintenance costs.
How to Order
- Resin System - The standard resin system is a flame-retardant polyester. Upon request, a vinyl ester resin system is also provided
- Ladder Cage - It is important to determine the exit method at the top of the ladder cage, when a ladder cage is required. Strongwell will select the starting height if it is not given. The starting height will be between 7’ (2134 mm) and 8’ (2438 mm), as required by OSHA. Whether the cage is to be assembled or delivered with the ladder as a kit has to be stated. The ladder cage is made using a polyester resin system with a flame retardant. A vinyl ester resin system is also provided on request
- Painting - A polyurethane coating is recommended to prevent fading caused by UV exposure related to outdoor installations
- Color - Standard SAFRAIL™ ladders contain yellow rungs and side rails. Custom colors are also available on request
- Ordering - One of the four standard ladder types shown below can be selected. Optional return can be added if required, and the dimensions required for each type of ladder chosen can be determined
- Special Orders - If customers’ requirements are not met by the standard ladder types shown below, then a drawing or sketch must be submitted for pricing purposes
Standard Ladder Systems
Standard Walk-Through Ladder with Base Clip
Standard Ladder with Base Mount
Standard Ladder Cage
Standard Walk-Through Ladder with Large Standoff Bracket Wall Mount
Standard Ladder with Large Standoff Wall Mount
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Strongwell Corporation.
For more information on this source, please visit Strongwell Corporation.