The Galvanizers Association of Australia is an industry body, which provides technical information on galvanized steel protection.
The following have value at the bidding process and in ultimate service life.
Galvanizing is universally recognised for:
End User Value
• Long service life
• Wear resistance
• Uniform clean metallic appearance
• Non recurrent maintenance surfaces
• Low life cycle cost
• Reliability in providing these characteristics
Product Efficiency – Freight & Installation
• Off-site completion
• Coating integrity during steel handling
• Environmental cleanliness
• First cost advantage
• No weather delays
• Minimal recurrent maintenance
Duplex – Colour Painting Galvanizing
Duplex painting is being used where a topcoat, for wider use, is complementing the long service life of a galvanized coating. Specifications from the individual paint manufacturers are available. Our advisory note GEN 14/1 addresses the following list of options:
• An aesthetic or identifying colour
• Extension of service life
• Additional chemical resistance
Galvanizing is cost competitive and provides construction efficiency and sustained asset value to end clients.
In recent times the use of galvanizing as a self finish has considerably increased in public places, where very hard wear, graffiti or other disfigurement can be minimised by the alloy coating which is up to 50% harder than mild steel.
The elimination of future steel preparation by the alloy is a significant cost control of future maintenance.