Research and Markets has announced the addition of Frost & Sullivan's new report "North American and European Antimicrobial Coatings Markets for Healthy Buildings" to their offering.
The antimicrobial coatings for healthy buildings study analyzes the North American and European antimicrobial coatings market for interior application in healthy buildings, The challenges faced by the participants along with the important factors driving and restraining growth have been analysed in the study. The study highlights the key chemistries prevalent in the market. Detailed revenue and unit shipment forecasts have been provided for the North American and European regions. The study analyzes the current competitive structure in the market and provides the market share analysis. Critical success factors in the market have been identified and strategic recommendations based on those factors are also presented.
This research service discusses the North American and European markets for antimicrobial coatings for healthy buildings. Antimicrobial coatings are defined as coatings that kill, prevent, or retard the growth of micro-organisms including bacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungi.
Antimicrobial coatings are not only designed to kill micro-organisms but also to delay their growth by suppressing their multiplication. Initially, antimicrobial coatings were designed with the objective of protecting the construction surface on which they were applied. However, due to the increasing awareness about health issues, these products are now designed to perform a dual roleto protect the construction surface as well as reduce the risk of infection for humans coming in contact with that surface.
For the purpose of this study, antimicrobial coatings that are designed for internal applications for healthy buildings (both residential and commercial) have been taken into consideration.
The application segments based on the selected criteria are the following:
- Internal coatings
- Window frames
In order to present a complete and concise analysis of the market, the study focuses on antimicrobial coatings for healthy buildings from two perspectives that are given below:
- Antimicrobial actives/additives manufacturers that primarily produce only the antimicrobial or biocidal active ingredient
- Antimicrobial coatings manufacturers that incorporate antimicrobial actives/additives into their coating formulations
The study discusses the trends in the market from 2006 to 2016, with 2009 as the base year. The forecast period is from 2010 to 2016. The market sizes are estimated based on the total unit shipment of antimicrobial coatings in North America and Europe for the relevant years. They do not represent the production of materials in the respective regions. The study also discusses in detail the key industry challenges and market drivers and restraints. It provides a comprehensive market and competitive analysis and discusses various strategies employed by market participants.
In addition, less than 100 companies were active in the manufacturing of antimicrobial actives/additives. Most of the companies that participate in this market are not dedicated to manufacturing/supplying antimicrobial coatings for internal applications in the construction industry. This is due to the fact that the construction industry accounts for a very low share in the total antimicrobial coatings market. Moreover, the penetration of antimicrobial coatings in the construction industry is significantly lower than that in other market industries.
Akzo Nobel N.V., the largest coatings manufacturer in the world, is the leading participant in the market, and it is closely followed by The Sherwin-Williams Company.
The market for antimicrobial actives/additives is more fragmented than that for antimicrobial coatings. The Dow Chemical Company, Agion Technologies, and Troy Corporation are the leading companies in this market; however, many other participants have small shares. Price sensitivity in the market for antimicrobial coatings for healthy buildings is high, and the market also displays some oligopolistic characteristics. Market participants follow similar pricing policies.
Some of the major competitive factors in the market for antimicrobial coatings for healthy buildings include the following:
- Product innovation and regulatory approval
- Technical support to consumers
- Customer service and after-sales support
- Cost management and control
Market and Product Trends
Some of the critical market and product trends identified in the market for antimicrobial coatings for healthy buildings include:
- Focus on technical and post-sales support
- Mergers and acquisitions for strategic growth
- Shift from the use of nano-silver to regular silver
- Emergence of copper as an antimicrobial
Major Research Findings
The main drivers for the market for antimicrobials coatings for healthy buildings include the following:
- Regulatory pressures on hospitals, schools and other buildings to use antimicrobial coatings in order to reduce the risk of medical infections
- Increased awareness among consumers regarding the advantages of using antimicrobial products to prevent infections
The main restraints for the market for antimicrobials coatings for healthy buildings during the forecast period include the following:
- Regulatory interventions in antimicrobial products and their marketing
- False claims by companies
The key strategic recommendations to address the challenges faced by the companies active in the market for antimicrobial coatings for healthy buildings are listed below:
- Effective use of antimicrobial product registrations as a marketing tool to create consumer awareness
- Focus on research and development to produce more environmentally friendly antimicrobial coatings
- Strategic partnerships with antimicrobial actives/additives suppliers to leverage synergy and sustain growth
- Mergers and acquisitions as a strategic growth strategy
Key Topics Covered:
Chapter 1 - Executive Summary
Chapter 2 - World Market for Antimicrobial Coatings
Chapter 3 - North American Antimicrobial Coatings Market for Healthy Buildings
Chapter 4 - European Antimicrobial Coatings Market for Healthy Buildings
Chapter 5 - Competitive Analysis Using Porter's Five Forces Model