Blending refers to the process of mixing the bricks or pavers to evenly distribute the product colours across the entire finished wall or pavement. This is an important step whether the products you have delivered are a single colour or are multi-coloured.
Austral bricks and pavers are partially blended during the packing process in the factory. This is not sufficient to ensure a well blended job. Bricklayers and paving contractors must always blend or mix the product as it is being laid.
Figure 1. Poorly blended bricks. These bricks were selected straight across the top of one pack without following the blending instructions. The uneven distribution of the 'blueing' leads to a patchy job
Figure 2. Well blended bricks. These are the same bricks selected according to the blending instructions. This wall is beautifully blended
Blending instructions are on the side of most packs. These instructions recommend:
- Work from at least three open packs.
- Select the top brick or paver from the left of each pack.
- Work progressively from a corner across and down each pack in a diagonal pattern. Don't unpack the bricks or pavers in horizontal layers.
- Be sure to inspect the product before laying. Product liability transfers to the purchaser once the units are installed.
- When placing the order try and make sure you have enough for the whole job. Avoid part orders or adding to the order in bits and pieces.
- Where possible have the whole job delivered at the same time. Austral Bricks drivers will try to place the product around the site to suit your needs.
- If you have under-ordered, leave plenty of product unlaid so you can blend it with the new delivery.
Source: Austral Bricks
For more information on this source please visit Austral Bricks