Northgate Mall today announced that in order to make way for the new and highly-anticipated Sound Transit Northgate Line Light Rail Station, a two-level, 673-car parking deck will be constructed on the west side of the 65-year shopping center in 2016.
The new parking deck will provide shoppers with approximately 140 more parking spaces than what was available in the same area previously.
Construction of the new parking deck is expected to last approximately 11 months, with construction slated to begin on January 4 and end before Thanksgiving 2016. The parking deck will be located on Northgate Mall's west side between Forever XXI and JCPenney. Parking spaces within the new parking deck footprint will not be accessible during construction. As an alternative, shoppers will be encouraged to park on the east side of the mall, as well as use the parking garage just south of JCPenney.
To assist shoppers and visitors with access to the center, Northgate Mall is instituting a complimentary valet program on select days with drop-off and pick-up to take place in front of Mama Stortini's and RAM Brewery, which are located on the west side of center. More information about this Northgate Mall amenity will be available in the coming weeks. Patrons of the center are encouraged to check Northgate's website in January for details. Other parking tips for shoppers to utilize during construction include the following:
- There are often parking spaces available, even during the center's busiest times, in the garage just south of JCPenney
- Visitors to Northgate Mall will still have access to parking between Barnes & Noble and Mama Stortini's
- Shoppers who are traveling north on I-5 can use any lane, after they exit the freeway, to access an entrance to the mall
- All Northgate Mall entrances will remain open during the construction project
- Visitors wanting to park on the east side of the mall should consider using Northgate Way for easier access to the center
- Motorcycle parking is located in front of the "F" doors near Northgate Mall's T-Mobile store
Following the completion of the new parking deck, Sound Transit will remain on mall property for approximately two to three years as it works to finish the Sound Transit Northgate Line Light Rail Station. In addition to the station, this work includes a below ground parking deck in the southwest corner of Northgate Mall. Shoppers at the center will have access to the top level of this parking deck, which will be at ground level.
The Sound Transit Northgate Line Light Rail Station and the four-mile long Northgate Line, which will run from Capitol Hill through the University of Washington and north is expected to be fully operational in the fall of 2021.
"We're pleased to be a part of Sound Transit's expansion and look forward to welcoming shoppers from communities south of our center in the coming years," said Steven Heim, Mall Manager at Northgate Mall. "In the meantime, we are committed to making the construction transition as smooth as possible for our current mall patrons."