The National Association of Home
Builders (NAHB) yesterday honored the “best of the best” in the multifamily
housing industry with its Pillars of the Industry Awards, presented in conjunction
with its annual conference being held here for apartment and condo developers,
owners, and managers.
Considered the most prestigious national awards in the industry, the Pillars
Awards honor excellence in apartment and condo design, development, marketing
and management, and are looked to by the industry and the media as a showcase
of future trends and innovation in multifamily housing.
“This year’s Pillars Award winners reflect the larger trend in development
in general, and that’s the resurgence of urbanism and the rebirth of the American
city,” said Ron Terwilliger, chief executive officer of Trammell Crow Residential
and chairman of NAHB’s Multifamily Leadership Board. “These award-winning apartment
and condo communities are terrific examples of how higher-density housing can
revitalize neighborhoods, protect open space, and offer rental and for-sale
housing choices at a variety of price points for today’s families.”
Terwilliger said he also was struck by how many of this year’s submissions
to the Pillars Awards competition were either affordable or had an affordable
component to them. “I am deeply impressed at how hard developers are working
to provide quality apartment homes as well as amenities that focus on the real
needs of residents—from after-school activities to computer rooms and business
centers—and are affordable to low- and moderate-income families.” Terwilliger
NAHB recognized 32 winners for excellence and superior leadership in building,
marketing, and management.
Top honorees were: AvalonBay Communities, a Real Estate Investment Trust headquartered
in Alexandria, Va., was named the Freddie Mac Multifamily Development Firm of
Year. The honoree specializes in developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing
high-quality apartment communities in high-barrier-to-entry-markets across the
United States. At the end of last year, AvalonBay owned or held interest in
148 apartment communities comprising 42,810 apartment homes in 10 states and
the District of Columbia.
American Management Services/Pinnacle was named Property Management Company
of the Year. As one of the nation's leading third-party managers of investment
real estate, Pinnacle oversees a real estate portfolio valued at more than $4.3
billion that includes approximately 100,000 apartment units in 42 states.
Alban Towers, a historic landmark in Washington, D.C., that recently incorporated
the Alban Row luxury condominiums into its community mix, won top honors as
the Freddie Mac Best Multifamily Community of the Year. Alban Towers was selected
from among all the winning entries in the builder award categories for the accolade.
Developed by Archstone-Smith and Encore Development and designed by Torti Gallas
Architects, Alban Towers/Alban Row also won the Pillars Award for Best Repositioning
or Rehabilitation of an Apartment Asset.
“We are pleased to be a partner with NAHB in celebrating the great work being
done nationwide by apartment and condominium developers,” said Adrian Corbiere,
senior vice president of Multifamily Sourcing at Freddie Mac, which sponsored
the Pillars of the Industry Awards. "Freddie Mac's mission is to ensure a steady
supply of funds for builders who want to expand the nation's supply of affordable
housing, and multifamily is the most affordable housing option available to
consumers today." A complete list of winners is included below and is posted
They will also be featured in the April/May 2005 issue of Multifamily Pro
ABOUT FREDDIE MAC: As one of the nation’s largest investors in multifamily
housing, Freddie Mac is committed to developing new products and processes to
keep the cost of rental housing down while providing superior service and innovation.
Consistently more than 90 percent of Freddie Mac’s investments make quality
rental housing available to families with incomes at or below area median. In
total, the company has helped make affordable rental housing possible for more
than 2 million families.
WINNERS – NAHB MULTIFAMILY 2005 PILLARS OF THE INDUSTRY AWARDS
- Best Garden Rental Apartment Community (4 stories & under) Primary Market
Austin Ranch The Colony, Texas Hensley Lamkin Rachel, Inc.
- Best Garden Rental Apartment Community (4 stories & under) Secondary Market
Centergate Celebration Orlando, Fla. Torti Gallas & Partners, Inc.
- Best Luxury Rental Apartment Primary Market Villa Siena Irvine, Calif.
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
- Best Luxury Rental Apartment Secondary Market Mirasol at Celebration Celebration,
Fla. Looney Ricks Kiss
- Best Mid-Rise Rental Apartment (5-8 stories) The Ellington Washington,
D.C. Donatelli & Klein, Inc.
- Best High-Rise Rental Apartment (9 stories and above) Avalon at Mission
Bay San Francisco AvalonBay Communities, Inc.
- Best Loft Community The River Lofts at Tobacco Row Richmond, Va. Henneman
- Best Mixed-Use Community Fruitvale Transit Village Oakland, Calif. McLarand
Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
- Best For-Sale Multifamily Community: 15 units per acre or less The Garlands
at Barrington Barrington, Ill. Torti Gallas & Partners, Inc.
- Best For-Sale Multifamily Community: 15-40 units per acre Bryan Square
Washington, D.C. Eakin/Youngentob Associates
- Best For-Sale Multifamily Community: more than 40 units per acre Montebello
Cupertino, Calif. McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
- Best Student Housing Apartment Community Vista Del Campo Irvine, Calif.
KTGY Group, Inc.
- Best Affordable Apartment Community Columbia Estates Atlanta James, Harwick
- Best Site Plan-Urban The Residences at Atlantic Station Atlanta Lane Investment
& Development Corporation
- Best Site Plan-Suburban Courtenay Palms Brandon, Fla. LandDesign
- Best Repositioning or Rehabilitation of an Apartment Asset Alban Towers
/ Alban Row Washington, D.C. Torti Gallas & Partners, Inc.
- Most Creative Financing of an Apartment Community City View at Hughes Square
Orlando, Fla. JMG Realty, Inc.
- Best Clubhouse/Leasing Center Midtown Temporary Sales Office Reston, Va.
Carlyn and Company Interiors & Design
- Best Interior Merchandizing at a Multifamily Community - For Sale Landmark
Place Oakland, Calif. Creative Design Consultants, LLC
- Best Interior Merchandizing at a Multifamily Community - For Rent The Waverly
at Las Olas Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. ZOM Florida, Inc.
- Best Signage Program at a Multifamily Community Cityville at Live Oak Dallas,
Texas Robinson Creative, Inc.
- Best Brochure for a Rental Apartment Community Sovereign Square Washington,
D.C. The JBG Companies
- Best Brochure for a For Sale Multifamily Community Watermarke Irvine, Calif.
RAP Communications, Inc.
- Best Overall Sales or Leasing Campaign for a Multifamily Community Radius
Condominium Hollywood, Fla. Lane Investment & Development Corporation
- Best Corporate Web Site www.mark-taylor.com