A comprehensive study of 1004 remodeling contractors who entered and/ or made purchases from Home Depot, Lowe's, and Menards 'Big Box' stores within the past twelve months has just been completed by the Minneapolis, Minnesota based building materials market research firm Market Resource Associates, Inc. (MRA).
Remodeling contractor respondents had to shop in at least 2 of the 'Big Box' stores within the last twelve months to qualify for participation in the blind, out-bound-telephone study. No form of compensation was provided for respondents' cooperation. Tested were 56 key metropolitan markets within the 48 contiguous United States between January 17th and June 1st of 2007. The markets and resulting quotas were selected based upon published remodeling activity in 2006.
According to MRA president John Cashmore, the comprehensive study (126 pages in total) rates the 3 'Big Box' competitors on 80 different product categories and criteria. Some of these categories include:
- Absolute best value as a 'Big Box' for remodeling contractor customers by product classification
- What stores did they enter but not purchase?
- Quality of products at each 'Big Box' store versus value
- 'Big Box' leader for new products
- Purchasing behavior and 'Big Box' store selection are also shown by the following respondent demographic information:
- Educational Level
- Total Sales of Remodeling Firm
- Metropolitan Market
This study is available for purchase at $995, and readers will see how Menards had the highest overall ratings between the three competitors.
The next study to be conducted by MRA will examine professional painting contractors, and their purchasing venues by product type.
Based in Minneapolis since 1990, Market Resource Associates is a full-service market research consultancy specializing in the residential and commercial building materials, lawn and garden, kitchen and bath and related fields.