Alberta's leading construction trade journal, Alberta Construction Magazine, has selected Habitat for Humanity's NetZero Energy Precast Concrete Duplex in Edmonton for its 2013 Project of the Year, as well as the winner of the Sustainability award.
The dual winner uses an impressive array of energy efficient and sustainable technologies, making it the first structure of its kind of Canada. Partners Lafarge North America Inc. and Stantec Inc. designed the building to serve as a model for future sustainable housing development. The project's main goal was to be a net-zero structure -- meaning it will create enough energy to cancel the amount of money needed to heat, cool and power the building. Both solar and geothermal energy will play a role.
The awards selection was made by a five-member panel of judges. This year a new category -- the People's Choice Award -- was added, allowing readers to choose a favourite of the nominated projects. Over 1,400 votes were submitted, and the Glacier Skywalk, located in the Rocky Mountains outside Jasper, Alta., was named the first-ever People's Choice Award.
All Top Projects Awards winners were announced at the magazine's annual Top Projects Awards luncheon on December 4, 2013 at the Markin Macphail Centre at Winsports Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. The event, sponsored by KPMG, recognized the award winners and featured keynote speaker Ken King, president and chief executive officer of the Calgary Flames.
The complete list of winners:
- Project of the year: NetZero Precast Concrete Duplex | Edmonton, Alta.
- Commercial - over $50 million: Centre 10 | Calgary, Alta.
- Commercial - under $50 million (tie): Markin Macphail Performance Training Centre | Calgary, Alta.; and Glacier Skywalk | Jasper, Alta.
- Industrial - under $50 million: MX Manufacturing Centre | Edmonton, Alta.
- Institutional - over $50 million: Bow Valley College South Campus | Calgary, Alta.
- Institutional - under $50 million (tie): Advancing Canadian Wastewater Assets | Calgary, Alta.; and Boyle Renaissance Phase 1 | Edmonton, Alta.
- Civil - over $50 million (tie): North Edmonton LRT Line | Edmonton, Alta.; and Airport Trail Tunnel | Calgary, Alta.
- Civil - under $50 million (tie): Trans-Canada Highway Flood Rebuild | Canmore, Alta.; and Saline Creek Drive and Bridges Project | Fort McMurray, Alta.
- Sustainability: NetZero Precast Concrete Duplex | Edmonton, Alta.
- Design - Commercial: Eastgate Offices for Environment Canada | Edmonton, Alta.
- Design - Institutional: Bow Valley College South Campus | Calgary, Alta.
- People's Choice Award: Glacier Skywalk | Jasper, Alta.
"The projects that were nominated this year were outstanding," said Chaz Osburn, editor of Alberta Construction Magazine. "They speak volumes about what industry is capable of accomplishing."
"KPMG is proud to be the major sponsor of the Alberta Construction Magazine Top Projects Awards," said Randy Kraft, KPMG Calgary's industry leader for building, construction and real estate. "We have had the opportunity to see firsthand the significant breadth, depth and quality of the projects put forward by the nominees, the finalists and the winners. We thank all those companies and individuals who participated and in particular congratulate the finalists and winners."
Details about all the winning projects are included in the Winter 2013 issue of Alberta Construction Magazine.
About the Alberta Construction Magazine Top Projects Awards
For the past 12 years, Alberta Construction Magazine has celebrated project excellence with its annual Top Projects Awards. Each December, winners are featured in the Winter issue of the quarterly magazine.
About Alberta Construction Magazine
For over 30 years, Alberta Construction Magazine has been Alberta's construction connection, focused on delivering balanced and relevant editorial coverage of the projects and people influencing Alberta's construction industry. Alberta Construction Magazine is owned by JuneWarren-Nickle's Energy Group, part of Glacier Media Group.
KPMG in Canada's building construction and real estate practice is the result of a 35-year effort to forge one of the largest and strongest full-service practices among the top professional services providers. We know the Alberta construction industry intimately. The industry knowledge that KPMG's professionals bring to each engagement helps to set us apart from other firms.
Our dedicated team of professionals across audit, tax and advisory work together to provide value to a wide range of public, private and institutional real estate clients in all sectors of the industry, including construction, office, industrial, residential, seniors' housing and retail. We understand that each client has a unique set of issues and needs; our team helps clients cut through complexity and we deliver informed perspectives and clear solutions to help our clients compete, grow and succeed.