On April 17, Bechtel was awarded the contract by USAID for the emergency repair and rehabilitation of the Iraqi infrastructure. Initial funding is for $34.6 million, but could extend to $680 million over 18 months.
The contract covers key areas such as:
- Power generation facilities and electrical grids
- Municipal water systems and sewage
- Airport facilities
- Dredging, repair and upgrading of the Umm Qasr sea port
Other areas that could come under the contract include the repair and reconstruction of:
- Selected Ministry buildings
- Major irrigation sectors
- Essential transport links
In many of these projects Bechtel will employ contractors and local population. To this end they are holding conferences at several locations across the world, beginning on May 19 to disseminate information about available projects. Venues include London on May 23. The information will also be posted on their web site.