Ensemble Real Estate Investments and AECOM Capital today broke ground for a 250-room luxury lifestyle hotel, the first in decades to be built in Silicon Valley from the ground up. The 11-story hotel, which will be a member of Marriott’s Autograph Collection®, is a key component of Silicon Valley’s landmark Menlo Gateway project, which will transform 16 acres of industrial land east of Highway 101 in Menlo Park into a vibrant work and leisure environment.
Menlo Gateway will be developed by the Bohannon Development Company. In addition to the hotel, it will include three office buildings and accompanying parking structures, a Bay Club fitness facility, and outdoor amenities.
“This hotel highlights the ability of AECOM Capital and Ensemble to successfully partner with project owners and municipal stakeholders to design an independent lifestyle property that adds value to the surrounding community,” said Brian Ehrlich, chief investment officer at Ensemble Real Estate Investments. “Our goal is to create a boldly original facility that honors the unique ethos and innovative spirit of Silicon Valley – a place that will be a neighborhood after-hours retreat for locals, and a must-stay destination for taste-making travelers and corporate leaders.”
“We’re excited to join Ensemble and Bohannon to develop the Marriott Autograph Collection hotel,” said John Livingston, chief executive of AECOM Capital. “This project represents our first investment in the Bay Area, and addresses the need for more hotel rooms in Menlo Park to support the growing demand of the technology industry.”
Inspired by the culture of innovation in Silicon Valley, the property will be a full-service, four-star hotel featuring an iconic architectural design built to the LEED Silver-level of certification for sustainability. With architectural design elements that pay homage to the curved bow of an elegant sailing ship, the hotel’s rich character and details reflect the personality of Menlo Park while meeting the needs of today’s independent, high-tech business travelers.
The Autograph Collection hotel in Menlo Park will offer:
- High-design and welcoming comforts that blend understated elegance and ingenuity
- 250 guest rooms, including 43 suites, featuring floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the San Francisco Bay and surrounding foothills
- Lushly landscaped courtyards and gardens, with a zero-edge pool and spa, cabanas, and fire pits
- A community centerpiece of social food and beverage experiences created in partnership with a local celebrity chef and restaurateur, including a three-meal restaurant, lobby coffee market, and poolside bar
- 20,000 SF of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space designed for innovative business and social gatherings, including a 6,000 SF ballroom, executive boardroom with terrace, and a 3,000 SF event lawn
- A state-of-the-art fitness center
- Marriott Rewards lounge with window-walls and inventive leisure and workspace
Minneapolis-based Cuningham Group Architecture has been selected as the project architects. Cuningham Group has designed numerous landmark hospitality and resort properties in the U.S. and Asia. McCartan Interior Design, based in New York, is providing interior design services. The hotel is expected to open for business in late 2017.
“We’re pleased to have built a strong relationship with Bohannon Development Company and the City of Menlo Park as the Menlo Gateway project has progressed,” said Ehrlich. “Through this partnership, we will deliver a creatively curated experience that provides thoughtfully chosen essentials for its global guests.”