Automated technologies such as 3D printing, extrusion, the use of artificial intelligence and virtual reality will revolutionize the construction industry - in particular 3D printing technology is considered a driver for a paradigm shift in concrete industrialization.
Sika has been involved from the onset in this technology, working in close cooperation with leading universities and other key industrial players.
In 2016 Sika built a dedicated 3D center for automated building construction at the technology park in Widen, Switzerland. The ongoing activities concentrate on the first industrial implementations of 3D, as well as creating an unrivalled freedom of design in collaboration with architects.
In this developing technology Sika has a unique position because it is the only company supplying all of the required building blocks for cementitious printing. This includes:
- Robotics from Sika's Automotive Engineering Center
- Automation with Sika's Pulsment process control
- Extrusion performed by the Sika MiniShot system
- Sika 3D mortars
- Setting on demand with Sika accelerators
- Concrete technology and mix design with Sika® ViscoCrete®
- Formulation expertise from Sika's concrete admixture specialist team
Frank Hoefflin, Sika Chief Technology Officer about the new technology: "With a clear focus on 3D printing technology and with the required know how in-house, Sika is perfectly positioned to lead the field in the digitalization and further industrialization of concrete construction".